Selecting an exercise vest is no easy task, and today we’d like to share with you the best weighted vest that you can currently buy to bring your workouts to the next level.
TABLE OF CONTENTSoduction Before We Begin
As you can see, there are a variety of excellent options when it comes to exercise accessories in general.
Weight training, as we know, is highly important for overall health and well-being so adding a weight vest is perfect to serve this purpose.
Whether you want to add some resistance to any of the following, there is something here that will serve your purpose very well:
- Working Out
- Calisthenics/Body Weight Training
- Just Wearing It Anywhere You GO Or Around The House
When you add weight to your daily workout routine or any of the above activities, it makes them more challenging therefore increasing your body’s stamina and endurance.
Additionally, the increased weight your whipping and carrying around drastically increases calorie and fat burning potential as well.
What Should You Look For In A Weight Vest?
We think the #1 thing you should look for in a vest is how much weight the vest has or can be added to it.
If you purchase a vest that only has, say 10 lbs, you might be limiting yourself in terms of how much it will help you improve your workouts.
A better option would be to simply purchase a vest that has all the weight you would need from the outset, or purchase a vest that will allow you to upgrade it when you need more weight down the road.
In addition to the aforementioned things to consider, you must also consider whether you’re male or female as certain comfort factors might influence your decision in the end.
We’ll go over the best options for women down below a little bit further so make sure to stay tuned!
The last thing you want to consider is price. How much are you willing to spend on your vest?
Alright, without further ado – here we go!
Why Are Weighted Exercises Important?
When it comes to working out and bodybuilding, there is one governing principle that dictates whether you progress or not. It’s what’s known as progressive overload.
When you are doing movements such as push ups, pull ups, dips, squats and any other body weight movement, more reps at a certain point won’t do much more for you. At this point adding some weight to your exercises will lead to greater results.
Progressing on your exercises – meaning, you’re adding more weight over time – is what builds muscle. Adding a weight vest to your arsenal is an amazing way to add some weight to your workouts.
Best Weight Vest for Walking, Running, Jogging & Hiking
So we have two options in this category so make sure to check them both out! We’ll start off with the below vest and we’ll feature one more as well.
Both options provide a great experience and as you will see, one of the options will feel like a much more suitable price!
#1: Hyperwear Hyper Vest PRO
- Professional-grade weight vest based on a patented design and fabric
- Comes with 10lbs of high-density steel weights with capacity for more
- Thin profile provides full range of motion
- Stretch fabric is wicking, odor resistant, cool and comfortable; open side for ventilation
- Unisex design with side lacing for highly-adjustable fit
The Hyperwear Hyper Vest Pro Unisex 10-Pound Adjustable Weighted Vest is one of the best weighted vests for outdoor activity.
One of the things we love most about this vest is that it can be easily concealed underneath your shirts/clothing to make it pretty much invisible.
You’ll be able to add some awesome resistance to your walking, jogging, hiking, cycling or other activities where you might want to conceal the vest to make it look more natural.
This is an awesome vest for any of the below activities:
- At-home activities
- Cardio exercise at the gym (ellipticals, treadmills, spin bikes)
- Anywhere you might want to conceal your exercise vest
- Can easily be concealed underneath clothing
- Light weight making it ideal to add just a little resistance
- Material can stretch giving you a better range of motion
- Odor resistant
- Moisture wicking
- Side can open for ventilation
- Weights can be added & removed (Hyperwear Booster Packs)
- Tight-fitting clothing like fitted shirts may not be able to conceal it
- The vest is expensive
#2: Tone Fitness Weighted Vest
If you’re looking for one of the cheapest, simplest and best weighted vests for walks or jogs look no further than the Tone Fitness Weighted Vest.
With 12 lbs of total weight this will make an awesome companion to the most challenging of hikes.
Also, you can easily use this vest to do anything else as well including cycling, spin classes, elliptical training, treadmill training and much more.
For a full list of exercises you can use a weighted vest for, check out the Men’s Health Article explaining just that!
Now, whereas we do 100% recommend this vest, there are some things to keep in mind that might sway you from buying this vest and we’ll go over that in the pros and cons section just below.
- Excellent price for a great vest
- Comes in two different colours to suit any need
- Contains pocket to hold your phone or Mp3 player
- Includes safety strips for walking safely at night
- Adjusted for both men, women & children to keep you comfortable
- Only 12 lbs of weight which might not be enough for some people
- May not be able to be concealed under all clothing items
Stay tuned for the best choices!
Best Weighted Vests for CrossFit, Working Out & Calisthenics
Before we dive into this section, just note that any of these vests can work for any other purpose such as working out, weight lifting, calisthenics etc. but we’ve chosen one specific vest for each activity that we think will be best suited.
Feel free to browse any options as we’re certain that you’ll be very satisfied with whatever option you decide to go with!
Best Weight Vest for CrossFit
RUNFast/Max Pro Weighted Vest
- Weights Included. 40lbs total.
- Added Features: Phone pocket, Water bottle holder.
- One size fits most, manufacture warranty included.
- Weights can be all removed from vest.
- Shoulder pads included.
The RUNFast/Max Pro vest is one of our personal favorites for CrossFit, and you’ll find out exactly why that is below.
One thing we love most is that whatever weight you purchase is the weight that you get so you never have to worry about upgrading the weight as long as you buy the right one from the get-go.
Once you buy your vest on Amazon, the weights are automatically inserted and come shipped with them already in the pouches.
With the 20 lbs, 40 lbs 50 lbs and 60 lbs models only, the weights can be removed so you can wash your vest or whatever you want to do with it.
This is a huge benefit for you so that you don’t have to be stuck there with weights that cannot be removed. We think that’s something you’ll love.
- Removable weights to wash/replace them
- Variety of weight options to suit your budget + needs
- One size fits most people (men and women)
- Can be used for a wide range of exercise including weight lifting, push ups, pull ups, dips and more
- Shoulder pads can be included upon request to make it more comfortable
- Heavier models can be adjusted downwards for less weight
- Can’t be concealed easily under clothing due to the bulkiness
- Shoulder pads must be requested separately
Best Weight Vest for Calisthenics
MiR Adjustable Weighted Vest
- WEIGHTS COME INCLUDED - Official MIR Solid Iron Weights. Each Weighing 3lbs
- SHORT STYLE - Measuring 11" in length, this vest is sure to stay nice and high on your body for all your workouts.
- DURABILITY- LIFETIME WARRANTY INCLUDED. We stand behind our products so you can workout worry free.
- ADJUSTABILITY - Weights can be added or removed at any time for any workouts. Straps can adjust to all sizes. Follow instructions for a perfect fit.
- EQUAL WEIGHT DISTRUBUTION- With pockets located front and back of the vest, this vest will give you maximum comfort during all workouts without straining your back or shoulders.
The MiR Adjustable Weighed Vest is an awesome, basic, simple and highly adjustable vest that can serve not only your workout purposes but others as well such as CrossFit or anything else.
We love the fact that it’s a little bit shorter than your average vest making it feel slightly more snug around your torso while you’re whipping yourself around in the gym!
When you’re doing push-ups, squats, pull ups, lunges, split squats, or any other calisthenics movements, this is a great vest thanks to its sturdiness.
Although it cannot be concealed easily underneath clothing, we don’t think this is a huge issue as most people buying this vest won’t be concerned with that.
The vest isn’t ideal for hiking or outdoor activities anyway so simply wearing it on top of your clothing is the best option in our opinion.
Feel free to remove the weights in each model to wash your vest and adjust your weights in 3 lbs increments to make it highly convenient to get a very specific workout.
- Easily remove weights to adjust
- Adjust weights in 3 lbs increments to dial in your exact requirements
- One size will fit most people
- Shorter than other models making it more nimble during heavy exercise
- Fully washable vest
- Doesn’t bounce around during running
- The vest is not cheap
- Some people might actually prefer a longer vest for stability but it’s up to you
- Cannot be concealed underneath clothing as it’s too bulky
Best Weighted Vests for Working Out At The Gym
#1: RUNFast/Max 12lbs-140lbs Adjustable Weighted Vest
- Weights Included. 80lbs total.
- Phone pocket and water bottle holder included
- One size fits Most, manufacture warranty included.
- 10 x 8lbs weights. Weights all removable.
- Shoulder pads included.
This is by far one of our favorite vests of all time. It’s not only one of Amazon’s best-sellers, but it’s also a fan-favorite of the gym and exercise enthusiast.
Although the highest-weight vest you can order is 60 lbs, you can add more weight up to 140 lbs in total.
We think that’s more than sufficient for even the strongest weightlifter which is why this is our #1 recommendation for anyone looking for an exercise vest for general-purpose weightlifting.
Of course using this for bench press, military press, and dumbbell curls aren’t what it’s meant for, but as soon as you jump up on a pull up bar or get prepared on the parallel bars for some dips, this is where the vest truly shines!
Because of the heavy nature of this vest, the option also exists to grab the shoulder pads as well which could help make it more comfortable the heavier it gets.
- Highly adjustable up to 140 lbs maximum
- Will have enough weight virtually forever
- Shoulder pads can make it more comfortable
- Awesome for doing pull-ups, dips, squats, push-ups and more
- Very awesome price for what you get
- Cannot be concealed under clothing
- Shoulder pads need to be ordered separately
- Instructions can be confusing
#2: ZFOsports Weighted Vest
- Premium features: Pocket for your phone/music devices
- Water bottle holder, designed to fit all water bottles 16oz or smaller
- Iron Weights for 50lbs model.
- One size fits most
- Belt attached on the vest for easy set up
We know there are a lot of options to choose from on this year’s list, but we really want to make sure you’re coming away with all of the information you’ll need and the ZFOsports Weighted Vest ist just another one of the best options.
We really love the fact that this vest comes in either Arctic camo (as depicted above) or just plain black for those wanting a more pure and plain experience.
The best thing here, however, is the price. Let’s talk about that.
This is one of the best prices you will spend on an exercise vest, and with almost 1,000 Amazon reviews, there are no shortage of people really raving and loving this product!
We’ll have a more in-depth pros and cons list below but first here are a few more features.
You will enjoy a range of weight up to 80 lbs making this vest suitable for anyone with any skill and experience level, and the one-size-fits-most design will ensure you will feel comfortable wearing it.
- Easily adjustable thanks to the on-belt adjustment design
- Excellent price-point for a great vest
- Hundreds, if not thousands of reviews on Amazon
- Comes in two different colors to suit any style choice
- Can be confusing to assemble and use
- Can begin hurting the sides of your neck during pull ups
We don’t mean to offend you with this section – however, some women prefer a differently shaped exercise vest thanks in part to a different physiological makeup to men.
Some women we’ve spoken to genuinely enjoy vests that are specifically made for their body as some “unisex” vests can be uncomfortable in the chest region for certain women.
Let’s have a quick look.
#1: Empower Weighted Vest for Women
- Weighted vest adds hands-free resistance to physical activities, including walking, running, gardening, and housework
- Contoured x-shaped silhouette designed specifically to fit a woman's figure; sand sewn into vest to evenly distribute weight
- Soft, stretchy Lycra spandex vest with adjustable side straps fits waist sizes from 24 to 48 inches
- Convenient pocket is great for small items such as keys and money
- Reflective accents on the front and back help you appear more visible in low-light conditions
This is probably the best value you will find in an exercise vest. If you’re female, this is where you want to look.
Whether you choose to jog on a treadmill, use the elliptical, do Zoomba classes, spin classes, walk outside or do any other type of exercise, this is likely going to add the perfect amount of weight while still being very comfortable thanks to its cushiony padding!
The X-shape silhouette is specifically designed for your body, in the chest area to make sure that you’re getting the most comfortable experience possible without feeling squished.
You will easily be able to burn more calories as well – a heavier person always burns more calories so adding some weight is great for this.
Let’s look at an overview of the pros and cons:
- X-shaped silhouette is great for a woman’s figure
- Burn more calories during your workouts
- Super comfortable padding is specifically designed to keep you pain-free
- Reflective strips will ensure your safety at night during walks or jogs
- Can easily be concealed underneath your clothing for stealth
- One size generally fits most women
- Non-adjustable weights are sewn into the fabric so you can’t change the weight
- 8 lbs of weight might not be great for you in the long-run
#2: Iron Weighted Vest for Men and Women
- WHILE THE OTHER GUYS... fill their vests with cheap river sand to save a few bucks and increase profits, TNT Pro Series Weight Vests contain 11 pounds (5 Kilos) of iron pellets and metal rock, rather than using cheap stinky river sand (from the actual beaches in China!).
- IF YOU'VE DONE YOUR RESEARCH, THEN you already know... Similar training vests use actual sand from the river as weights. As you can smell-magine, these type of weights can lead to a stinky, smelly vest with repeated use. Pee-yew!
- DOES YOUR BACK HURT? What's worse than wearing a weighted vest filled with chinese river sand? Wearing a vest with unevenly distributed weight that is so straining on your low back it feels like you're carrying around a backpack full of rocks!
- NOW WITH WEIGHT-BALANCE TECHNOLOGY: Who prefers a vest with evenly distributed weight throughout? So do we! That's why we designed this vest with your lower back in mind! It even Includes an adjustable strap allowing it to be customized to tightly fit any men's or women's body like a glove!
- COMFORT + BALANCE = HAPPY : ) Our weighted body vests create just the right amount of heavy resistance during muscle building, bodyweight exercises, and heart-pumping cardio activities - allowing you to expend more energy to achieve your fitness goals
Unlike the vest above, this Iron Weighted Vest is packed full of actual iron pellets making it a more durable and rugged vest all around whereas some competitors use and pulled from local rivers to save some cash.
Most people say this vest is super comfortable to wear and that it’s a great all-around fitness vest, and best of all, if you don’t need tons of weight, this vest also has a super-attractive price-point to boot.
With the shape of a woman’s body in mind, this vest will contour your body perfectly and provide ample weight without feeling like it’s going to crush you.
That’s one of the most annoying things to us as a woman and we’re sure you’re looking for something that won’t do that – this might be your answer.
As always, let’s go over the specific pros and cons:
- Shaped to fit a woman’s body ideally without “squishing” or “pressurizing” key areas
- Uses actual iron weights instead of cheap sand from the beach
- Perfect way to add just enough weight to make your workouts more challenging
- Can be worn during most exercises such as elliptical training, push ups, pull ups, walking outside and more
- Excellent price for what you get
- Could be worn under certain types of clothing
- Non-adjustable weight might be limiting down the road
- Might bulge out if worn underneath clothing
#3: JBM 12 lbs Weighted Vest
- One Size for Most This weight vest for workout comes with one size which is suitable for both adult and youth, men and women. An adjustable buckle strap in front of the chest to fix the weighted vest and make the weight vest more fit body.
- Soft Neoprene for Comfort The weighted vest for fitness adopts excellent neoprene fabric with quality sand filling, which is super soft and helps to concentrate the weight in the chest and upper body during training and builds core muscle strength. It is better to hand wash the weighted vest instead of machine wash.
- Great for Strength Training The weighted vest weighs 20lbs / 9kg, which is perfect for strength training, workout, crossfit, fitness, walking, running. Men and women even wear the weight vest for stairs climbing. The weighted vest helps improve cardio conditioning and body strength, giving you more power, speed, and agility.
- Mesh Pocket to Store Belongings There is a mesh pocket in the back of the weight vest for men and women to store belongings when running, walking or stair climbing. There are multi reflective tapes on both sides of the weight vest for running as well, which make the night running much safer.
- Package Weighted vest x 1
It’s still within the same realm of the other two women’s options as above but just keep in mind that it’s still not adjustable either.
The 12 lbs will provide ample weight for you to really be able to ramp up your workouts to the next level, just keep in mind that, eventually, you might outgrow what you’ll be able to get out of this vest.
Shaped in such a way to contour your body well, the straps will allow you to be as comfortable as possible whilst participating in the most strenuous of physical activity.
We love that you can get your hands on this thing for pretty cheap and that you get a lot out of it which we really think you’re going to love as well!
- 12 lbs of weight is great to get a more intense workout
- Can be worn during any type of activity you choose
- Great for added calorie burn and weight loss
- Has mesh pocket to store belongings such as a phone, Mp3 player or anything else small enough
- Reflective stripes will make sure you remain safe at night
- Sand filling is not as high-quality as other, iron-filled vests
- Non-adjustable and non-removable weights due to the sand filling sewn into the vest
That pretty much sums up the article for this year. As the final chapter we’re going to share some commonly asked questions in the form of an FAQ and then we’ll share our own final thoughts.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Can you wear a weighted vest during outdoor activities such as walking, hiking, running or jogging?
Although we highly recommend grabbing yourself an exercise vest for walking, hiking and maybe mild jogging, running might place extra strain on your joints.
For this reason, we would recommend only using limited amounts of weight if you’re planning on using your vest to run.
It’s generally recommended to use only light to moderate additional weight when running because of the added stress running places on your hips, knees and other joints.
Question: Are exercise vests comfortable to wear for long periods of time?
Again, this greatly depends on the individual vest. Look for models featuring padding on the shoulders and, if possible, make sure to order the padding as often times it must be ordered separately.
As for wearing a vest for a long period of time, we can’t say for sure whether each specific model will be good for this purpose or not – we only have limited resources to test our product recommendations and gather data on them.
Fortunately, thanks to Amazon’s pretty lenient return policy, if for whatever reason your vest isn’t working out, you can generally return it pretty easily.
Should I buy a vest with removable weights?
If you plan on washing your vest, removing weights for whatever reason to add more then you might want to consider purchasing a vest with removable weights.
Go over the options above again and make sure you’re buying a model that will allow you to remove the weights and add more if you want to do that.
Can the weight vest be concealed underneath clothing?
Again, this is model-specific and depends on whether you wear very baggy clothing or not.
We do the best we can to make sure we’re giving you this information so that you’re armed with the knowledge necessary to make the best purchasing decision possible.
Do weight vests come with weights already added?
Yes. Most models we feature here already have weights in them and some of them even offer you the opportunity to purchase extra weights as well.
Check out each model above to get a better idea of what you’ll be getting with it!
Can I wash my vest?
For the most part we would say yes you can, but some models come with sand bags sewn into the fabric so it would be best for you to review the product more carefully if you plan on washing it in the washing machine.
Generally, however, you can use a simple solution of all-purpose cleaner and some water to get the job done.
Alternatively, you can always use some OxyClean, Febreeze or any other type of de-oderiser and/or cleaner to give your vest a fresh and clean feel again.
Are all vests for men & women?
We’re not 100% sure how to answer that – but we think it’s safe to say that some vests will be better suited for women than others due in part to a woman’s different physiology in the chest region.
If you want to avoid getting pinched or feel pressure then we would highly recommend checking out a vest that suits your own personal needs better than others.
Will the vest come loose or fall off during strenuous exercise?
This largely depends on the vest, how much weight you’re using and how tight you buckle it up.
We’re pretty certain that most offerings on this list will suit your needs just fine, but if for whatever reason you’re not 100% sure or satisfied with the information we’ve presented you with here, we always recommend checking out the questions people ask on the specific Amazon page.
Can you swim with your vest?
Generally speaking, however, we would likely not recommend using an exercise jacket in a pool.
Related: Weighted Pull-ups and It’s Benefits
Conclusion & Final Thoughts
An exercise vest is an amazing way to make your workouts more intense and bring them to the next level.
You can easily walk, run, jog, hike, bike or do any other kind of activity in them – even work around your house or backyard.
Choose the one that ideally suits your needs and make sure that you’re finding out all of the information possible before making your decision.
Certain vests will be more suitable needs and people so just make sure that you know what you’re buying.
We think that this is one of the most convenient ways to make your CrossFit workouts or calisthenics workouts more intense in a way that will provide you with better muscle-building results so grab yourself a high-quality vest today!
always, we want to thank you for checking out our guide today. Hopefully, you were able to take some valuable information away from this.
Additionally, we have a variety of other guides based on similar interests so feel free to check them out!