Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness: How to get rid of DOMS… and what the hell IS it anyway?
What Is DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)?
DOMS is a common affliction that affects most individuals participating in an activity their body isn’t used to.
This could be simply hiking, jogging, walking or cycling, but it’s also something that affects individuals new to weight lifting or those who have taken a few days off from it.
It can be characterized by tenderness in the muscles, mild pain when flexing the affected muscles and it can even be as severe as debilitating pain in some rare instances.
In essence, DOMS is caused by a buildup of lactic acid in the muscles paired with broken down muscle fibres and inflammation causing your muscles to become sore for 2-3 days depending on the severity and your fitness level.
There’s really not too much you can do to avoid getting DOMS but there certainly are effective ways to greatly reduce its incidence.
Pro-Tip: Check out this awesome video by Jeff Cavaliere explaining what it is and some other details:
The Best Way to Get Rid of DOMS
Well, you see, there isn’t technically one singular way that you can get rid of it.
However, there are 3 basic methods you can use to greatly reduce DOMS.
Combining all three of them will allow you to ensure you get the most out of your DOMS reduction efforts.
Here are my personal three recommendations to get rid of this pesky condition. Make sure you stay tuned for the whole article because I will go through each of them in more detail with you below.
- Active Rest
- Rest by itself
- Massage including chairs, massage therapy, self-massage and more.
- Bonus Section: Best devices to help you out with muscle soreness
As you can see, there is no one singular way to effectively rid yourself of this disorder, but you can certainly have a better chance of eliminating it by doing a variety of different things.
Relieving DOMS in Your Upper & Lower Body
When most people think of how to get rid of DOMS, I’d argue that at least half the time you would think of your legs including quads, glutes, and hamstrings.
Thinking of how to get rid of DOMS in the leg muscles is the same as any other muscle group.
Legs are some of the biggest muscle groups in your body so finding an effective DOMS-relief technique could be very useful.
However, your upper body also makes up a large portion of your body so understanding how to prevent and treat DOMS is critical for your entire body.
In my honest opinion, one of the most effective ways I have found to improve post-workout soreness and stiffness is to simply go outside for a walk (or hike if you have time).
I’ll cover this in more detail below, but really quickly: Moving the target muscle group around by doing some light exercise is one of the best ways for DOMS relief.
Pro-Tip: Here’s a great video on active recovery by Workout Warriors:
You might also want to try:
- Bodyweight squats
- High-knee kick-ups
- Push ups
- Pull ups
- Australian rows
And, of course, just make sure you’re not overdoing it because, as you may know, rest and recovery are two of the most important factors in getting bigger and stronger so you don’t want to mess with that!
Do a few light sets, maybe 1-2, 10-12 reps each and then call it a day.
As you know, muscles require oxygen to live just like anything else in our body, and the way they get oxygen is through the flow of blood.
Therefore, if you simply take 15-20 minutes when you are experiencing muscle soreness to get some blood moving around in the problem areas.
I have found this to be extremely helpful and I am almost certain you’ll find it helpful too!
Getting Rid of DOMS With Rest
It’s probably no surprise to you that rest plays a crucial role in pretty much anyone in the world.
Everyone needs rest for their bodies and minds to recover, and using rest to reduce muscle soreness is no different.
I’ll keep this part pretty short since there isn’t much to say here, however.
One of the most important things to keep in mind is that muscles and body tissues do the most repair to themselves during rest which could mean not exercising and sleeping so it’s no surprise that rest is one of the most beneficial things you can do for muscle soreness.
Using Massage & Massage Chairs to Relieve DOMS
For a small subset of people, muscle soreness presents itself as a severely debilitating condition lasting for 3 days or more.
Special note: I should mention at this point that, if for whatever reason you have extreme pain, please go see your doctor and do not simply trust the fact that it’s probably just DOMS.
However, for most of you out there you can probably assume it is just a case of muscle tenderness and soreness.
CAN MASSAGE HELP WITH DOMS?
Massage is a great way to iron out tight muscles and provide your body with more oxygen flow in the form of blood throughout problem areas.
There is one caveat though – sometimes your muscles will be so sore that it will feel impossible to sit through a full massage without crying like a little girl on All Hallows’ Eve that got her candy taken away from her!
Pro-Tip: Check out this video by Livestrong on how massage can help you alleviate your DOMS.
WHAT ABOUT MASSAGE CHAIRS?
Well, what I can say about massage chairs is that sometimes they can provide you with a much better and less painful experience than a dedicated massage therapist albeit for a much higher up-front cost.
There are, however, massage chairs you can use at your local mall that you can pay a buck or two for about 5-10 minutes worth of massage.
Would I recommend it? Probably not as some of the above techniques have offered me better DOMS-relief results than massage, but it may work for you.
- Brought to you from the Trusted Brand Forever Rest. This true zero gravity massage chair will position you in a true zero gravity recline allowing better blood circulation, relaxation and a deeper and more effective massage
- 6 different massages variations: Knocking, Kneading, Rolling, Shiatsu, Tapping, Vibration (seat) and combo Tapping with knocking (extremely effective). 4 automatic massage programs: Stretch, Relax, Swing, and Recover mode.
- Lower Back Heat&Dual Foot Roller Massagers : Placed in the lower back region of the chair are 2 heating pads which enhance the massage experience. The heat is a mild warming heat to help loosen a tight back, Located on the bottom of the feet are 2 rows of spinning reflexology massagers which provide a soothing kneading style application.
- Triggered point massage ：According to the acupoint massage,8 massage rollers inside the backrest and foot rollers function, 56 air bags placed all over the shoulder, arms, seat, and legs, offer you full body massage. Make you feel real sense of relaxation!
- We offer 3 Year "Rock Solid" Warranty guarantees that your qualified product will be replaced or repaired, without cost to you. And we also offer an additional warranty to extend the length of time.
- RELAX FULL BODY -The massage chair utilizes innovative 2D/3D Finger Pressure Shiatsu, Rolling, Air compression, Vibration and Heat functions to provide you an omni comfortable massage to soothe muscles and ease tension like a spa massage.
- CREATIVE 2D/3D SHIATSU MASSAGE - The Shiastu Neck & Back Massager with Heat, it has 4 rotation nodes to provide deep kneading massages for neck and shoulder. This massager incorporates our latest innovative technology, the massaging nodes move inward & outward motion to create 2D or 3D finger pressure shiatsu massage with double comfort for your back.
- ADJUSTABLE ROLLING & SPOT MASSAGE-The chair massager features soft rolling massage along the back spine combats muscle pain across the whole back, and the width between two massage heads can be adjusted to fit the body. SPOT massage function allows you to concentrate massage on one area for pin-point relaxation. Also you can choose Full back, Upper back or Lower back to massage the target area as desired.
- OPTIONAL HEAT & ADJUSTABLE AIR MASSAGE-The full back massager has optional infrared heat function on shiatsu nodes that delivers gentle warmth to further relax tension muscles. ADJUSTABLE AIR COMPRESSION-Air massage on waist & hips from 2 airbags helps relieve tension indulging yourself in full-coverage and deep tissue massage by the massage chair. Adjustable 3 intensity settings are available.
- ULTIMATE COMFORT-Place this seat massager on a sofa, couch, recliner, office chair or dinning chair to enjoy a therapeutic massage in the comfort of your home ! Perfect christmas gift for mom, father, men, women, friends who need a massage. For any reason, if this massage chair pad does not meet your expectations, return it for full refund within 30 days.
- SHIATSU BACK MASSAGE WITH HEAT -The back massager features 4 shiatsu massaging nodes travel up and down relaxing your entire back. 3 MASSAGE ZONES for your choices: Full Back, Upper back & lower Back. SPOT MASSAGE function allows you to concentrate the kneading nodes on specific area for pin-point relaxation. The Shiatsu nodes with optional heat function adds gentle warmth to soothe muscle pain. The detachable INTENSITY CONTROL FLAP allows you choose a softer or stronger massage.
- ROLLING BACK MASSAGE WITH ADJUSTABLE WIDTH -The soft rolling massage along the spine combats muscular tension and offers soothing relaxation across the whole back, and with adjustable the width of the massage nodes to custom fit the body. VIBRATION SEAT MASSAGE -The 2 adjustable levels of intensity provides you a comfortable massage to Hips and thighs.
- ULTIMATE COMFORT: Use this massage cushion on a sofa, couch, recliner, office chair or dinning chair to make the ultimate comfort seat in the house. The integrated strapping system secures it on chairs in place . UL approval desktop home adapter is included, the adapter is safe to use with both 110-120V & 220-240V electrical outlet.
- PERFECT GIFTS: This massage chair is a perfect gift for Mum, father, friend, wife or husband and any your loved ones for birthday, party or Christmas gift.
- ADJUSTABLE NECK MASSAGE- The massage chair features 4 unique neck massage nodes that deep tissue massages the neck and shoulder to relieve tired & muscle tightness. Massage nodes can be adjusted up & down to the height that allows any member of the family to use this massager. It is suitable for people between 63 inches - 70.9 inches (1.6m-1.8m) height. The shiatsu balls with optional heating function soothe your muscle & enhance blood circulation. The removable, washable neck cover provides you
Foam Rollers & Osteopathy
CAN FOAM ROLLERS AND OSTEOPATHY BE USED EFFECTIVELY?
In terms of foam rollers, this can be somewhat similar to massage chairs and massage itself, but you get to control the pressure and where to use them.
Foam rollers provide you with a very gentle and controlled ability to massage out problem areas of your muscles using rollers, balls and other similar type of devices.
These can be amazing at relieving pressure and really loosening up the muscles and making them much less sore so I’d highly recommend learning more about those as well!
You can grab yourself one of these awesome foam rollers from Amazon if you want to find out more about how much they cost and what other people are saying about their effectiveness.
Lastly, how about osteopathy? Well, similar to massage, osteopathy might provide similar results so you would have to give it a try and see for yourself quite honestly.
- An Amazon Brand
- 12.75 inches x 5.25 inch diameter , lightweight yet rugged solid core EVA massage roller with triple grid 3D massage zones mimics the finger , palm , and thumb of a therapist's hands . Travel friendly at just 1 lb .
- Medium density muscle roller is comfortable to use - making it easy for beginners , but still effective at penetrating the soft tissue layer of tired muscles . Soft enough to use while in pain from lower back injury , sciatica or plantar fasciitis .
- One of the best recovery tools to treat muscle pain , increase performance and flexibility. Rolling before and after exercise sis part of a great stretching routine . Increases blood flow to massage site , flushing away stored lactic acid .
- Stretch overworked and strained muscles of the leg , arms , and feet by rolling during your warm up and cool downs . Provides instant benefit to the hamstring , IT band , glutes , and calves by delivering superior massages at home or in the gym .
- Loved by runners , Exercise athletes , yoga and Pilates students , swimmers , physical or sports therapy patients , and those just doing a normal fitness workout . Great for the arch of the foot , and any part of the body but the spine or neck .
- Made in USA or Imported
Related: Body recomposition for men and women
Conclusion & Final Thoughts
So we know I’ve thrown tons of information at you today but we want you to take something important away
from this: there are ways in which you can mitigate DOMS and a combination of two or more of the above is ideal.
Use active rest combined with actual rest for quick and effective relief from DOMS, and resort to massage, foam rollers or massage chairs for an even better effect.
If you find yourself having debilitating soreness you can certainly implement any of the above strategies to effectively help you recover and use any combination you desire!