When it comes to the pros and cons of spinning, there are certain circumstances that you must take into consideration.
Today you’ll learn exactly what we think of spinning and whether you should be doing it or not for your particular fitness goal(s).
Are you one of those people? Well, you might be on to something for sure. Read the rest of the article to find out what that is.
We now know that weight loss is simply impossible without a caloric restriction (eating fewer calories than you burn).
However, exercise by itself does not lend itself to weight loss without consciously consuming fewer calories than you’re burning on a daily basis, but exercise can certainly aid in this.
But when it comes to spin classes or any other type of exercise class for that matter, people do them for various reasons and not just for weight loss.
You might be doing spin classes to just get a good cardio workout and to perhaps train for some kind of an event and that’s a perfectly acceptable reason as well!
Everyone has their own reason for doing anything fitness related. It’s simply not fair to just say that “this is bad” or “this is good” with 100% for everyone including spinning.
PROS AND CONS OF SPINNING: A BIRD’S EYE VIEW
Let’s quickly touch upon the pros and cons, and we’ll go over them in more detail below so make sure to read to the end of the article.
- Excellent for weight loss (if done correctly)
- Great for strength, endurance and stamina development
- Not always useful for weight loss all the time in every situation
- Spinning excessively can actually lead to atrophy of the muscles in your legs which is the opposite of strengthening them
- Using cycling or any other form of cardio training without strength training will leave you weaker, frailer and more prone to injury – and more prone to having a poor physique overall
Let’s dive in deeper so you can get a better, more in depth understanding of these points!
THE MOST IMPORTANT SPIN BIKE BENEFITS ARE NOT WEIGHT-LOSS RELATED
When you think of the plethora of benefits of cardiovascular training you will probably always default to “fat or weight loss” as the first thing that pops into your head.
The same thing happens to me too but we cannot ignore the various other things cardio training, including spinning, can do for you.
Although there are many pros and cons of spinning, I largely think that if done for the right reasons, the pros far outweigh the cons.
But your expectations have to be realistic… so keep reading!
Here are some of the most important things exercise does for you:
- Increased cardiovascular health including your heart and lungs
- Improved endurance
- Disease prevention
- Increased energy
Exercise pretty much improves all aspects of life so whether you’re using it for fat loss or for general health, you’re on the right track!
But that’s not all…
Pro-Tip: Here is an awesome video by Athlean- XX for Women showing you some of the most awesome spin bike workouts you can do!
Spinning can be done as a home exercise if you own a spin bike or it can be done as part of a class at your gym. Usually, most gyms have spin classes available to you at no extra charge.
Spinning in a group can also be beneficial as you will find yourself more motivated to get through the workout than you would on your own (at least in my experience).
USING SPINNING TO ENHANCE CARDIOVASCULAR ENDURANCE & STRENGTH
So up to now we’ve covered how to use spin classes to aid in your weight loss but there are some other important parts to consider as well.
Cycling as a whole is an amazing way to strengthen your leg muscles and prevent various ailments related to muscle loss.
Therein lies a caveat, however. Keep reading…
Spinning and cycling, if done excessively, can and will lead to atrophy of the muscles in the legs due to overuse.
What that means is that after a certain amount of cycling, the positive effects will be replaced by some negative aspects if overdone.
I think one of the main problems is that people tend to spend so much time spinning, running, jogging and doing various other forms of cardio all with the hopes of weight loss. This is the main reason for doing so much of it.
It is completely understandable why someone might choose to employ this strategy, and that’s exactly where the problem lies.
The simple truth is that losing weight without strength and weight training can and will lead to atrophied and weakened muscles throughout the body.
Although cycling helps build some muscle, doing excessive amounts of cycling without the addition of strength training will literally leave you spinning your wheels over and over again.
PROS AND CONS OF SPINNING:
HIIT = EXCELLENT METHOD FOR FAT LOSS*
- 【35lbs Flywheel & Belt Drive System】PYHIGH Stationary Bike Equipped with a 35lbs bidirectional flywheel, which could offer more momentum to give you a challenging exercise experience.
- 【LCD Display & Phone Holder】LCD monitor tracks your time, speed, distance, calories burned and odometer While you are cycling--to give you a more Scientific exercise date. You can place your Phone on the holder while workout.
- 【Adjustable Over-Sized Saddle & Non-Slip Handlebars】PYHIGH Indoor Bike comes with an air permeability and heat dissipation permeability which will bring you a more comfortable cycling experience.
- 【Adjustable Resistance & Emergency Quick Stop Design】This Stationary Bike has an unique Resistance design-- You can increase or decrease the Cycling resistance to choose a different Training level by a simple twist. Press down the emergency knob to stop the flywheel immediately if you want.
- 【Safe to Use & Move】 Supports up to 280lbs,Cycling Bike's Anti-Slip pedals are designed with adjustable toe cages and straps which make your cycling more safer. Front foot tube Wheels help you move the bike easily. This exercise bike comes with a 12 months warranty.
- Sturdy Flywheel- The 40 lb. chrome flywheel is designed to maintain momentum smoothly as you cycle on the cardio machine. Heavy flywheels support speed, stability, and consistency across your workout.
- Dual Resistance: Increase resistance or come to a complete stop with the dual felt pad resistance system. Use the micro-adjustment knob to increase and decrease resistance applied to the flywheel.
- Adjustable Handlebars: Take advantage of the ergonomic handlebars designed to accommodate multiple riding styles. The multi-grip handle bars easily adjust up and down, based on your height.
- Fitting & Adjustments: Tailor your riding experience to your individual height. Use the four-way adjustable seat that can be fitted to your individual leg length.
- Stabilizers: Prevent wobbling and jerks while riding when you adjust the base levelers that will keep the bike stable on uneven surfaces.
- Solid Build - The AV type frame, 50mm thickened frame tube, 35lbs flywheel and 280lbs user weight capacity gives this indoor bike a rock solid build. It's great choice for stationary bike.
- Fully Adjustable - With 2-way adjustable handlebar and 4-way adjustable seat, this indoor cycling bike suits for most users with different heights (suitable inseam from 25.6" ~ 35.4"); With a convenient resistance adjustable knob, you can adjust the intensity of your workout, it is perfect for any user's skill level.
- User-friendly Design - Easy-read digital monitor to track workout data including your workout time, speed, RPM, distance, and calories burned; Dual transportation wheels for an easy move. This X1S indoor cycling bike uses adjustable caged pedals, the thread of the pedal crank is 9/16", it is compatible with the most clip in pedals in the market.
- Large Tablet Support - 10.2" large tablet support allows you put your notebook, tablet, mobile phone or books on the bike to watch cycling classes and read; it makes the workout exercise interesting and easy to insist, no more boring.
- Our Promise - If you would like a wider seat, please send us a request in Amazon message. All parts has 1 year warranty! Customer support team response within 24 hours! 100% satisfied solution if any issue!
- STATIONARY EXERCISE BIKE: The sturdy steel frame and 275 maximum user weight gives this bike a rock solid build that will keep it moving ride after ride. Easily move the indoor cycle from room to room with the front-mounted transport wheels
- RESISTANCE: The cycle bike trainer features a resistance system that gives you the experience of a realistic, real-road feeling. Make your workout more intense and burn more calories by cycling at a high resistance level
- SILENT RIDE: Experience a smooth and quiet ride with the maintenance free belt drive system which allows you to workout without interrupting your workout or anyone around you. Seat Dimensions- 10.5L x 6.5W x 2.5H
- CUSTOMIZABILITY: Adjust the seat vertically and horizontally. Handlebars move up and down to adapt to any user type. Height Max 40 in/ Min 29 in. Designed to keep your feet in place, these pedals are built with toe cages
- WATER BOTTLE HOLDER: Stay hydrated throughout your workout. This convenient water bottle holder is built into the frame for easy access
- 40lbs chromed solid flywheel combined with the belt drive mechanism allows for smooth and quiet workouts
- Adjustable handlebars and fully adjustable seat with high density padding
- LCD monitor displays time, speed, distance, calories, and scan. Seat Dimensions- 10.5L x 9.5W x 2.5H
- Adjustable resistance with press down braking system
- Heavy duty steel frame with bottle holder; maximum user weight 265 lbs
Now that you’ve learned more about the negative aspects of spinning and understand many of the benefits, I think it’s time we talk about HIIT (or, High-Intensity Interval Training).
HIIT has its place within two main realms which that are accomplished simultaneously:
- Accelerating fat loss
- Improving cardiovascular health & endurance
As a matter of fact, when it comes to any form of cardio training, I really think that HIIT is your best friend. Let’s talk about what it is.
In essence, HIIT is a method of training whereby you do about 15-30 seconds of a high-intensity workout followed by the same interval in rest – and this whole process lasts 10-30 minutes depending on your skill level.
HIIT can be done using any piece of exercise equipment but is especially useful on a spin bike.
The best part about HIIT is that you get on the bike, get your workout done quickly, efficiently and safely while saving tons of time and preventing your muscles from being overused.
Combining HIIT with a great weight-loss approach and a strength training program is one of the best ways to stay in amazing shape!
- Can You Lose Weight Without Exercising and How Do You Do It?
- Strength Training Program for Women: Rusty Moore’s Visual Impact
- Strength Training Program for Men: ThinkEatLift ShredSmart (The program I am currently following)
*Again, fat loss cannot occur without eating fewer calories you eat no matter how much exercise you’re doing!
SPINNING IS STILL A GREAT OPTION FOR YOU DESPITE THE PROS AND CONS LIST
Even though you might tend to compare and contrast the benefits of one thing I still truly believe that spinning is an amazing thing to do.
As long as you’re aware of 3 main points I think you’ll be safe to go ahead with spinning:
- Spin classes do not make you lose weight by themselves without calorie restriction
- The chance of muscle atrophy increases with the length of time spent spinning
- Weight loss, and using spinning to do it, without strength training will leave your body weak and frail and should always be combined
If you understand how to track your calories for weight loss and you want to use cardio to help you reach your goals that’s fantastic.
Also, if staying in great shape is your thing, spinning can also be amazing for that as well.
However, the largest benefit is drawn when you combine a weight loss plan with a strength training program for results you’ve never thought possible!
Use spinning or any other form of cardio as you please, as long as you understand why you’re doing it.
I know plenty of people who just love doing it which is also just fine as well, but if you’re finding that you are participating in exercise and not seeing results, perhaps a re-evaluation of your approach is in order.
For an awesome resource we’ve crafted just for you, check out our awesome picks of the best spin bikes for this season which you can check out as you wish!
In a nutshell, don’t let your mind make you crazy. Basically just jump on a spin bike if you like doing it, but don’t expect to lose 10 pounds per week.
Spinning is just another way to get some exercise, and some people prefer it over other forms and vice-versa.
Choose what you like to do, and stick with it! That’s Physique Authority’s #1 mantra.
Have you tried spinning, and did you see the results you wanted? What were your goals and how did you finally achieve them? I’d love to hear from you!